- Chinese Socialist Theaters of Reform: Rethinking Performance Practice and Debates in the Maoist Period. Edited by Xiaomei Chen, Tarryn Chun, and Siyuan Liu. University of Michigan Press, March 2021.
- Revolutionary Stagecraft: Theater, Technology, and Politics in Modern China (work in progress)
- Spectacle and Excess in Global Chinese Performance (work in progress)
- “Wang Chong and the Theatre of Immediacy: Technology, Performance, and Intimacy in Crisis.” Theatre Survey 62, 3 (September 2021), pp. 295-321
- “Mediated Transgression and Madame White: Technology and the Nonhuman in Contemporary Stagings of a Chinese Folktale.” Theatre Journal. 71, 3 (September 2019), pp. 307-326.
- “Critical Acts—Spoken Drama and its Doubles: Thunderstorm 2.0 by Wang Chong and Théâtre du Rêve Expérimental.” TDR: The Drama Review. 63, 3 (Fall 2019), pp. 155-163.
- “Revolutionary Illumination: Stage Lighting, Politics, and Play in 1930s Shanghai Theater.” Modern Chinese Literature and Culture. 30, 2 (Fall 2018), pp. 87-140.
- “Adaptation as Hospitality: A Performance Series at the Shanghai Theatre Academy (STA) Winter Institute, 2013.” TDR: The Drama Review. 58, 1 (March 2014), pp. 108-117.
- “Shengsi Shaoxing: Lu Xun yu xiju de fuhuo qianli 生死紹興：魯迅與戲劇的復活潛力 (Life and Death in Shaoxing: Lu Xun and the Resurrective Potential of the Stage). Translated by Nan Hu. Wenxue《文學》(Literature) (February 2014), pp. 178-195.
- “Modern Drama Script Anthologies.” In Literary Information in China: A History, ed. by Jack W. Chen, Anatoly Detwyler, Xiao Liu, Christopher M. B. Nugent, and Bruce Rusk (Columbia University Press, 2021)
- “Introduction: Chinese Socialist Theatre between Revolution and Reform.” In Rethinking Performance Practice and Debates in the Maoist Period, ed. by Xiaomei Chen, Tarryn Chun, and Siyuan Liu (University of Michigan Press, 2021).
- “Sent-Down Plays: Yangbanxi Stagecraft, Practical Aesthetics and Popularization during the Cultural Revolution.” In Chinese Socialist Theatres of Reform: Rethinking Performance Practice and Debates in the Maoist Period, ed. by Xiaomei Chen, Tarryn Chun, and Siyuan Liu (University of Michigan Press, 2021)
- “A Monumental Model for Future Perfect Theater,” David Der-wei Wang, ed. A New Literary History of Modern China (Harvard University Press, 2017), pp. 619-624.
- “Resurrecting a Postlapsarian Pagoda in a Postrevolutionary World,” David Der-wei Wang, ed. A New Literary History of Modern China (Harvard University Press, 2017), pp. 883-888.
- “Theatre for the People, by the People: Penghao Theatre and The Story of Gong and Drum Lane,” Ruru Li, ed., Staging China: New Theatres in the Twenty-first Century (Palgrave MacMillan, 2015), pp. 215-232.
- “Memories of Directing Married to a Heavenly Immortal by Qiao Zhiliang.” In Wilt L. Idema, The Metamorphosis of Tianxian Pei: Local Opera under the Revolution (1949-1956) (Hong Kong:The Chinese University Press, 2014), pp. 226-249.